Dealing with email unsubscribes: In our final look (for now at least) on dealing with unsubscribers we will talk about making it easy for people to leave your list.
Now there is one school of thought which says that you should make it as difficult as possible for people to leave your list.
In order to do this I have seen some of the following tricks being used:
- failing to include any unsubscribe link on emails
- inserting a whole load of white space between the end of the main body of the email and the unsubscribe link to hide it from view
- not making the unsubscribe link active
- directing the link to a random URL and
- writing the link in a foreign language.
Here at RocketResponder we do not recommend any of that…quite the opposite in fact. Never try to hide or obscure your unsubscribe link. Ensure it is there in every email for the whole world to see.
If people want to unsubscribe then you should let them. If they no longer want to be on their list then why should you want them there?
All you will be doing is sending emails to people who either won’t even open them or have no interest in what you have to say.
So let them go, make it easy for them to go and don’t give them another thought.